Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Prairie School House



It's actually amazing how many of these charming old school houses are still standing throughout the countryside!  Many date back to the early 1900's, some perhaps earlier.  I have driven past this beautiful one for probably 15 years and I have honestly never stopped to snap a photo or two, or three!  Well, today was the day!  If I close my eyes I can hear the school bell ringing and the laughter and buzz of children filtering in from the rural countryside.  I can almost imagine a 'Laura Ingalls Wilder' standing at the front door ushering her students in!  Hmm ... it won't be long and the school bells will truly be ringing ... school will soon be in and summer will fade from this year!

4 comments:

  1. Great shot, Terry. It is amazing at all the photo opportunities we have around us if we just stop and look. I used to watch Little House on the Prairie too. I have also read her books. And she would also say, "Hurry along children. Albert please get water from the well. Joe please hand out the slates. Johnny, please add would to the stove... Liza, quit teasing Freddy. Freddy, no putiing her braids in the ink well.". Ah, how times have changed! A few more sleeps and poof, the summer fun will be just memories and blog entries!

    Guess what, I am in Drumheller! Now I am on a photo hunt, thanks to all of your great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times have changed ... and not necessarily all for good! Yes, it's so hard to believe summer holidays are almost over but you made it to Drumheller!! Can't wait to see and hear what you found! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey terri,

    Came across this and was wondering if I could use a few of your pics of this old schoolhouse for my newsletter... I'm based in carseland, and these shots would be perfect for some of the design.... Ill give you credit of course.... My email is paul@ theimagineers.ca and if you want to see past issues they are at www.carselandconnection.net.... Let me know as I'm putting the newsletter together this upcoming long weekend and I could use the hi res shots

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...